Skip to main content

Pandora's Children - Part 6

I lay in bed, staring at the #glow of the alarm clock's static time, willing the numbers to move faster than the laws of physics would allow. Time slowed to a glacial pace in my mind as my brain tried to make sense of everything that happened.

A minute ticked by slowly.

***

I knew I was off the case until tomorrow but I had to do something. Under cover of darkness, I left the house only to be greeted with driving sleet coming at me horizontally. There was already an #icicle or two hanging from the porch but I got into my car and headed out.

***

I figured the captain would have sent everyone home so I could question the woman without witnesses but there was one person who was still working.

"Hey #Pudding," a woman's voice said from the shadows.

"Hi Jaci," I muttered. "What are you doing here?"

"Stopping you."

***

"You knew I'd come?" I asked.

"Captain knew you couldn't stop yourself," Jaci replied as the janitor walked past humming an off-key #jingle as he picked up the trash.

"I want to know what the hell is going on."

"We all do. Might have a lead though."

"I'm listening."

***

"That Latin phrase Mrs. Grand said before she killed herself translates as 'A woman's work is never done.' Apparently it's the name of a cult led by a woman who calls herself #Grace of God, Daughter of Pandora."

"Oh joy. How many members in the cult?"

"We don't know."

***

"I've heard of them. The cult was called 'The Daughters of Pandora' when I was a rookie and then 'Pandora's Children' more recently. The Latin is their new catchphrase I guess."

"Don't tell the captain I told you. He'll kill me."

"He'll never #find out from me," I said.

***

"Now that's settled, what were you going to do?" Jaci asked.

"I was gonna talk to Mrs. Marcus. She must be a part of this cult."

"Come on," Jaci said.

I followed her to the cells. Mrs. Marcus lay on a cot.

"The #coral color walls are vile."

"It was cheap," I said.

***

Once Mrs. Marcus was in the interrogation room, Jaci and I discussed our strategy.

"Good cop, bad cop?" She asked.

I shook my head. "She'll see right through it. We need another approach."

"What do you suggest?"

"She's a musician, so let's try talking in #harmony."

***

We walked into the interrogation room together and said in unison, "Who ordered you to kill the conductor?"

"Grace of God," she said. "We're not a bunch of #circus clowns blindly following a master of ceremonies. We get lists of people to kill and we kill them. Simple."

***

"You'll tell us everything?" We asked.

"I'll tell you what I know. It does me no good to tell the truth wrapped in a #cocoon of lies. I've killed enough people that I'll get a life sentence, maybe even the needle."

Jaci and I dropped the act.

"Start talking," I said.

***

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Atlas Missing - Part 12

Hannah chimed in. 'You need to reach #satori.' 'Isn't that like nirvana?' Jaci asked. 'Something like that,' Hannah replied. 'Are you ready to focus on the case again?' Jaci took a deep breath. 'I'm ready.' 'Good. Are we going through the timeline this morning?' *** 'We'll go through the reports for each victim, jotting down notes about times and places, then we'll go #back and write it all down on the big board. Hopefully by combining all the data we can get an idea of what happened when.' 'How long will that take?' Hannah asked. *** 'It depends entirely on how much is in the reports.  Based on what I saw yesterday, it could take us a couple of days to go through everything.' Hannah smiled. 'I'm not a delicate little #flower. I can handle it.' 'Good. This is just the start. It's going to get worse.' *** 'Hey, watch out for that #cat,' I yelled as the small black furb

Atlas Missing - Part 9

The #nudistertian day began with me moving everything I owned into storage except for what I needed for a cheap one-bedroom apartment, and now here I was just a few days later, pawing through the remains of someone else's life. I wondered if I would ever get mine back. *** 'Why is it always a post-#jentacular jogger that finds the bodies?' Jaci asked. 'Is no one else up that early?' 'Who else did you want to find them?' I countered. 'Dog-walkers? Little old ladies?' 'It's such a cliche.' 'There's a reason for that,' Hannah interjected. *** 'It's a cliche because it's true,' I told Jaci and held up an evidence bag. 'This is a hair sample, but it hasn't been tested. Why not?' 'They don't have the funding to test for DNA on cold cases,' Hannah said. 'According to the police report, the hair is #ulotrichous.' *** 'And?' 'All of their suspects had straight hair, not curly.

Atlas Missing - Part 2

I looked around the lake shore, admiring the #viridity of the trees and grass. Today was my last day of freedom, for tomorrow I would be Special Agent Annie Thibodeau, FBI. "I thought I'd find you here," a female voice said and I turned to see my friend, Jaci Garcia. *** "What are you doing here?" I asked. "Came to find my new partner," she answered. "I'm not a police officer any more." She grinned. "Neither am I, but I am looking forward to our next #escapade." "You're not? What are you doing now?" "Same thing you are," she replied. *** I blinked. "You joined the Bureau too?" She nodded. "Hard to say no when the assistant director asks you personally." "Same here," I said, glancing back at the boat half submerged with one #scull floating alongside. "Come on, let's go. The memories are getting to me." *** "I know what you mean," Jaci said. "Shall