Skip to main content

Pandora's Children - Part 11

"Do you think it'll work, the press conference?"

"For a while, maybe, but we need to put our #pride aside and get help from wherever we can. Garcia, go work with Narcotics on the Jackson murder. Thibodeaux, I want you to check out leads on the Marcus murder and cult."

***

"We work better together, sir," Jaci said.

"That wasn't a #request, detective. Scoot! As for you," he looked at me, "do you have a lead?"

"Mrs Marcus probably kept trophies of her kills in the house. The CSIs were only looking at the murder evidence."

"Go find them."

***

I knew how dangerous Mrs. Marcus and Pandora's Children were and needed an #ally to search the house. Jaci wasn't available, so I wanted the next best thing. My old mentor, Eric Albright. He was a sergeant in patrol. He'd refused promotions to detective to stay on patrol.

***

"Hey Thibs, long time. What's up?"

"I need your help," I said and outlined the situation. "Can you meet me?"

"Give me the address and we'll meet you there," he said. "I'll ask #Judge to join us. He won't want to miss this."

Derek "Judge" Scanlon was his old partner.

***

By the time I got to the Marcus house, Judge and Albright were already there, along with a woman I didn't recognize.

"This is Stevie Wonder," Albright told me. "She's a #rookie."

"Wonder's my married name," Stevie said in explanation.

"Shall we do this?" Judge asked.

***

"Wow," Stevie said when we entered the house.

"Rich folk houses all look the same to me," Judge added. "Footballers shouldn't get this much money," he added and now you know why he got that nickname.

"It looks like one of the huge mansions from that TV show, #Empire."

***

"More like a #parody of one," Albright muttered.

"Let's go find these bones shall we?" I asked. "Stay alert while you're looking. One owner is dead and the other is an escaped serial killer, responsible for at least 34 deaths."

"Damn," Stevie muttered as we split up.

***

I searched the master bedroom & the walk in closet that was almost the same size as the bedroom, & followed the #creed drilled in by my forensics professor. Always look up. I saw a ladder hidden in a recess & pulled it out. There was a gap between the shelf & ceiling.

***

I put up the ladder and climbed to the top. I was shorter than she was but I could still see a box up there. I reached across to grab it, pulled it out and carefully climbed down. I set it on the bed and opened it. Her #greed was evident in the stacks of money, and bones.

***

"I found them," I called out & the others came running.

"Wow!" Stevie realized the bones represented bodies & shuddered. "It's still cool though."

Her excitement gave me an idea. "Can I borrow her?"

"What for?"

"I want to #infiltrate Pandora's Children," I told them.

***

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Atlas Missing - Part 12

Hannah chimed in. 'You need to reach #satori.' 'Isn't that like nirvana?' Jaci asked. 'Something like that,' Hannah replied. 'Are you ready to focus on the case again?' Jaci took a deep breath. 'I'm ready.' 'Good. Are we going through the timeline this morning?' *** 'We'll go through the reports for each victim, jotting down notes about times and places, then we'll go #back and write it all down on the big board. Hopefully by combining all the data we can get an idea of what happened when.' 'How long will that take?' Hannah asked. *** 'It depends entirely on how much is in the reports.  Based on what I saw yesterday, it could take us a couple of days to go through everything.' Hannah smiled. 'I'm not a delicate little #flower. I can handle it.' 'Good. This is just the start. It's going to get worse.' *** 'Hey, watch out for that #cat,' I yelled as the small black furb

Atlas Missing - Part 9

The #nudistertian day began with me moving everything I owned into storage except for what I needed for a cheap one-bedroom apartment, and now here I was just a few days later, pawing through the remains of someone else's life. I wondered if I would ever get mine back. *** 'Why is it always a post-#jentacular jogger that finds the bodies?' Jaci asked. 'Is no one else up that early?' 'Who else did you want to find them?' I countered. 'Dog-walkers? Little old ladies?' 'It's such a cliche.' 'There's a reason for that,' Hannah interjected. *** 'It's a cliche because it's true,' I told Jaci and held up an evidence bag. 'This is a hair sample, but it hasn't been tested. Why not?' 'They don't have the funding to test for DNA on cold cases,' Hannah said. 'According to the police report, the hair is #ulotrichous.' *** 'And?' 'All of their suspects had straight hair, not curly.

Atlas Missing - Part 2

I looked around the lake shore, admiring the #viridity of the trees and grass. Today was my last day of freedom, for tomorrow I would be Special Agent Annie Thibodeau, FBI. "I thought I'd find you here," a female voice said and I turned to see my friend, Jaci Garcia. *** "What are you doing here?" I asked. "Came to find my new partner," she answered. "I'm not a police officer any more." She grinned. "Neither am I, but I am looking forward to our next #escapade." "You're not? What are you doing now?" "Same thing you are," she replied. *** I blinked. "You joined the Bureau too?" She nodded. "Hard to say no when the assistant director asks you personally." "Same here," I said, glancing back at the boat half submerged with one #scull floating alongside. "Come on, let's go. The memories are getting to me." *** "I know what you mean," Jaci said. "Shall