Skip to main content

Pandora's Children - Part 13

Stevie nodded. "How did you know her?"

"I was her partner when she was a rookie, before I got my shield. I was a sergeant when she got her shield," he answered and choked.

Stevie stared at him, remembering something. "How did she die?"

"Have you seen the #Purge movie?"

***

"I've seen the movie. Why?"

"A gang tried it out for real that night. We lost six, including your mother. Over thirty people died that night, including the detectives and officers."

"She was #bridging two worlds," Stevie said. "Cop and mother. She did both really well."

***

"What happened to your dad?" The captain asked.

Stevie hung her head. "Cancer, a couple of years ago. I took both of their ashes to Long Island and emptied them into the #Atlantic. They would have liked that. It's where they met."

"I'm sorry."

"It's fine, Captain."

***

"Your mother was from Minnesota, right?"

Stevie nodded. "I'm surprised you remember."

"Do you follow the #Whitecaps?" He asked.

She nodded. "Mom introduced me to women's hockey when I was a kid. She suckered you in, too?"

"Yeah, she did. I still keep up with them."

***

"Did you see the game against the San Diego #Seagulls?"

"Can we get back to business?" I interrupted them.

The captain looked abashed. "Yes, sorry. You wanted her to go undercover? The answer's no."

"Why not?"

"I can't lose her like I lost her mother."

"You won't."

***

"It's a risk we can't afford to take," the captain said.

"I'm willing to accept it. You need to get inside and I can do that," Stevie said. "To quote a popular movie, 'I volunteer as #tribute.'"

Jaci chuckled but the captain didn't find it amusing.

"The answer's no."

***

"Other than my mother, why won't you let me go undercover?" Stevie asked.

The captain glared at me and asked her, "Why do you want to do this?"

"So I can help people," she answered.

"Do you think she can pass for #seventeen?" I asked. "Grace apparently likes that age."

***

The captain ground his teeth. "Yes, she could pass for 17, but she's got to have her life story doctored up a little. For Grace to accept her, she has to see that she's going through a rough #patch."

"We can work on that, but we can't wait too long to put her out there."

***

I could see it in the captain's eyes that we'd won. He'd allow us to work with Stevie to go undercover and infiltrate the cult. It was obvious that he was under a lot of strain but being able to do something proactive put the #spark back in his eyes. He had his mojo back.

***

"Jaci, Stevie, work on the cover story. The techs can change the records later. The captain & I will figure out how to get her in," I said.

"The queen has #spoken," Jaci replied dramatically. "We must away!"

I wondered if she was ever going to change, but I doubted it.

***

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Atlas Missing - Part 12

Hannah chimed in. 'You need to reach #satori.' 'Isn't that like nirvana?' Jaci asked. 'Something like that,' Hannah replied. 'Are you ready to focus on the case again?' Jaci took a deep breath. 'I'm ready.' 'Good. Are we going through the timeline this morning?' *** 'We'll go through the reports for each victim, jotting down notes about times and places, then we'll go #back and write it all down on the big board. Hopefully by combining all the data we can get an idea of what happened when.' 'How long will that take?' Hannah asked. *** 'It depends entirely on how much is in the reports.  Based on what I saw yesterday, it could take us a couple of days to go through everything.' Hannah smiled. 'I'm not a delicate little #flower. I can handle it.' 'Good. This is just the start. It's going to get worse.' *** 'Hey, watch out for that #cat,' I yelled as the small black furb

Atlas Missing - Part 9

The #nudistertian day began with me moving everything I owned into storage except for what I needed for a cheap one-bedroom apartment, and now here I was just a few days later, pawing through the remains of someone else's life. I wondered if I would ever get mine back. *** 'Why is it always a post-#jentacular jogger that finds the bodies?' Jaci asked. 'Is no one else up that early?' 'Who else did you want to find them?' I countered. 'Dog-walkers? Little old ladies?' 'It's such a cliche.' 'There's a reason for that,' Hannah interjected. *** 'It's a cliche because it's true,' I told Jaci and held up an evidence bag. 'This is a hair sample, but it hasn't been tested. Why not?' 'They don't have the funding to test for DNA on cold cases,' Hannah said. 'According to the police report, the hair is #ulotrichous.' *** 'And?' 'All of their suspects had straight hair, not curly.

Atlas Missing - Part 2

I looked around the lake shore, admiring the #viridity of the trees and grass. Today was my last day of freedom, for tomorrow I would be Special Agent Annie Thibodeau, FBI. "I thought I'd find you here," a female voice said and I turned to see my friend, Jaci Garcia. *** "What are you doing here?" I asked. "Came to find my new partner," she answered. "I'm not a police officer any more." She grinned. "Neither am I, but I am looking forward to our next #escapade." "You're not? What are you doing now?" "Same thing you are," she replied. *** I blinked. "You joined the Bureau too?" She nodded. "Hard to say no when the assistant director asks you personally." "Same here," I said, glancing back at the boat half submerged with one #scull floating alongside. "Come on, let's go. The memories are getting to me." *** "I know what you mean," Jaci said. "Shall