Skip to main content

Pandora's Children - Part 15

I sat in my car watching Stevie pace around the park nervously, as if she was waiting for something, which she was.

We had evidence that Grace liked to come here so we hoped that she'd see Stevie and take her. It wasn't a very #organised plan but it was the best we had.

***

An old #haiku I read once came to mind as I waited:

I wait in shadow
My intent to save or kill
Depends on my mood

It was written by a serial killer who left haikus with every victim. That particular one was left with a living victim, which eventually led to his capture.

***

Stevie sat on a bench and looked around. She signed something to me. It looked innocuous but it was actually an #acrostic code. A string of words that made up the true word.

What
Else
Lies
Low?

I shook my head and hoped she could see it.

We'd just have to keep waiting.

***

Several people passed her but none of them were Grace. We'd now been waiting for over five hours and time was running #short.

It was time for Plan B.

I picked up the radio. "This is Thibodeaux. I spotted the girl you're looking for at the park downtown. Send backup."

***

A patrol car pulled up beside me. I explained what was going on to the two cops. They went into the park, showing Stevie's picture. One pointed her out.

Stevie stood to run but her way was blocked by another woman. Stevie signed "box #stork" and the two of them ran off.

***

Operation Box Stork was our shorthand for Pandora's Children.

I called the captain. "She's in."

"Is the tracker working?"

"Seems to be."

"Good. Stay close."

I'd be spending a lot of time in my car until this was done. It wouldn't be #cosy but I was her only lifeline.

***

The car door opened and Jaci climbed in.

"What happened to you? You were supposed to be here hours ago."

"Sorry, I kinda got waylaid by my ex," she said sheepishly.

"You didn't..."

"He's just so #delicious. I can't help it."

"Did you forget why you got divorced?"

***

"I haven't forgotten. He's scum. An obsequious little #toad," Jaci said and shrugged. "But he's also good in bed."

"Is that all?"

"Yes. That's his only redeeming feature."

"Why did you get married then?"

"I wanted kids. Figured he was my best shot."

"Good job then."

***

"Actually, the divorce was as bad as the marriage. He was such a pain in the #butt when it came to Charley.

He wanted full custody without me having visitation at all. It took months, but we got it sorted out. I have her during the week, and he gets her at the weekend."

***

I saw that Jaci was winding herself up and decided to change the subject.

"The apocalypse convention is coming up at the end of the month. You like that stuff too. Come with me."

"What's it called again?"

"It's #Finisterre Con. The convention at the end of the world!"

***

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Atlas Missing - Part 12

Hannah chimed in. 'You need to reach #satori.' 'Isn't that like nirvana?' Jaci asked. 'Something like that,' Hannah replied. 'Are you ready to focus on the case again?' Jaci took a deep breath. 'I'm ready.' 'Good. Are we going through the timeline this morning?' *** 'We'll go through the reports for each victim, jotting down notes about times and places, then we'll go #back and write it all down on the big board. Hopefully by combining all the data we can get an idea of what happened when.' 'How long will that take?' Hannah asked. *** 'It depends entirely on how much is in the reports.  Based on what I saw yesterday, it could take us a couple of days to go through everything.' Hannah smiled. 'I'm not a delicate little #flower. I can handle it.' 'Good. This is just the start. It's going to get worse.' *** 'Hey, watch out for that #cat,' I yelled as the small black furb

Atlas Missing - Part 9

The #nudistertian day began with me moving everything I owned into storage except for what I needed for a cheap one-bedroom apartment, and now here I was just a few days later, pawing through the remains of someone else's life. I wondered if I would ever get mine back. *** 'Why is it always a post-#jentacular jogger that finds the bodies?' Jaci asked. 'Is no one else up that early?' 'Who else did you want to find them?' I countered. 'Dog-walkers? Little old ladies?' 'It's such a cliche.' 'There's a reason for that,' Hannah interjected. *** 'It's a cliche because it's true,' I told Jaci and held up an evidence bag. 'This is a hair sample, but it hasn't been tested. Why not?' 'They don't have the funding to test for DNA on cold cases,' Hannah said. 'According to the police report, the hair is #ulotrichous.' *** 'And?' 'All of their suspects had straight hair, not curly.

Atlas Missing - Part 2

I looked around the lake shore, admiring the #viridity of the trees and grass. Today was my last day of freedom, for tomorrow I would be Special Agent Annie Thibodeau, FBI. "I thought I'd find you here," a female voice said and I turned to see my friend, Jaci Garcia. *** "What are you doing here?" I asked. "Came to find my new partner," she answered. "I'm not a police officer any more." She grinned. "Neither am I, but I am looking forward to our next #escapade." "You're not? What are you doing now?" "Same thing you are," she replied. *** I blinked. "You joined the Bureau too?" She nodded. "Hard to say no when the assistant director asks you personally." "Same here," I said, glancing back at the boat half submerged with one #scull floating alongside. "Come on, let's go. The memories are getting to me." *** "I know what you mean," Jaci said. "Shall