Skip to main content

Pandora's Children - Part 16

"What is the convention about?" She asked.

"It's all apocalypse type stuff from movies, TV shows, and books. It's a big deal in North Texas."

She smiled. "Sounds like fun."

"Good, now go get me a coffee, and don't forget the #zarf."

"The what?"

"The cardboard thing."

***

"It has a name?" She asked.

"Everything has a name," I answered. "If you're going to that cafe across the street, I'll have a #chicken sandwich, too."

"Of course, your highness."

"Hurry up. They could move any second."

"Where are they?"

"They're sitting in a diner."

***

I knew they were at a diner because Stevie said it was a popular hangout for street people The owner often gave them food. We posted a couple of detectives there to keep watch. They were basically just #Kicking back and relaxing but they let me know that they were there.

***

Jaci came back with two coffees and a bag. She put the cups in their holders and was digging in the bag when I saw the tracker move.

"Buckle up. They're on the move."

"Where?"

"#Rock Ridge Trail, by the zoo. Maybe they have a house nearby," I replied as I headed there.

***

We drove around slowly as if we were looking for something. The tracker went crazy as we passed a burnt-#orange panel van sitting in a dilapidated driveway. Jaci scribbled down the plate number as we drove past and I pulled up to a house with a "For Sale" sign outside.

***

We used a #classic ploy. An open house. We got out of the car and walked to the front door. Jaci knocked while I furtively glanced at the van down the street. A man answered the door and Jaci moved her jacket a little and showed her badge.

He moved aside and let us in.

***

"How can I help you?" The man asked. "Are you interested in buying? The #chrome fixtures in the bathrooms and kitchen are brand new."

"Sorry, no. We just need to spend enough time in here to make it look like we had a tour. We're on surveillance."

"Then take the tour."

***

We agreed to the tour and spent almost an hour walking through the house. It was nice, open plan, with new appliances throughout. There was a lot to like, but I was most impressed with the glass #crane sculpture on a pedestal in the entryway. I asked if it was for sale.

***

"The sculpture was a gift. I'm sorry, it's not for sale," the man replied. "What about the rest of the house?"

"I love it," Jaci said. "I'm confused about the golf #club above the mantelpiece though."

"It's the club I used when I got my first hole-in-one years ago."

***

"What's the neighborhood like?" I asked, trying to #telegraph my intentions to Jaci.

"It's a great neighborhood, really quiet," the man replied, but was startled by his wife clearing her throat. "Well we do have one problem neighbor."

"Tell them the truth, George."

***

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Atlas Missing - Part 12

Hannah chimed in. 'You need to reach #satori.' 'Isn't that like nirvana?' Jaci asked. 'Something like that,' Hannah replied. 'Are you ready to focus on the case again?' Jaci took a deep breath. 'I'm ready.' 'Good. Are we going through the timeline this morning?' *** 'We'll go through the reports for each victim, jotting down notes about times and places, then we'll go #back and write it all down on the big board. Hopefully by combining all the data we can get an idea of what happened when.' 'How long will that take?' Hannah asked. *** 'It depends entirely on how much is in the reports.  Based on what I saw yesterday, it could take us a couple of days to go through everything.' Hannah smiled. 'I'm not a delicate little #flower. I can handle it.' 'Good. This is just the start. It's going to get worse.' *** 'Hey, watch out for that #cat,' I yelled as the small black furb

Atlas Missing - Part 9

The #nudistertian day began with me moving everything I owned into storage except for what I needed for a cheap one-bedroom apartment, and now here I was just a few days later, pawing through the remains of someone else's life. I wondered if I would ever get mine back. *** 'Why is it always a post-#jentacular jogger that finds the bodies?' Jaci asked. 'Is no one else up that early?' 'Who else did you want to find them?' I countered. 'Dog-walkers? Little old ladies?' 'It's such a cliche.' 'There's a reason for that,' Hannah interjected. *** 'It's a cliche because it's true,' I told Jaci and held up an evidence bag. 'This is a hair sample, but it hasn't been tested. Why not?' 'They don't have the funding to test for DNA on cold cases,' Hannah said. 'According to the police report, the hair is #ulotrichous.' *** 'And?' 'All of their suspects had straight hair, not curly.

Atlas Missing - Part 2

I looked around the lake shore, admiring the #viridity of the trees and grass. Today was my last day of freedom, for tomorrow I would be Special Agent Annie Thibodeau, FBI. "I thought I'd find you here," a female voice said and I turned to see my friend, Jaci Garcia. *** "What are you doing here?" I asked. "Came to find my new partner," she answered. "I'm not a police officer any more." She grinned. "Neither am I, but I am looking forward to our next #escapade." "You're not? What are you doing now?" "Same thing you are," she replied. *** I blinked. "You joined the Bureau too?" She nodded. "Hard to say no when the assistant director asks you personally." "Same here," I said, glancing back at the boat half submerged with one #scull floating alongside. "Come on, let's go. The memories are getting to me." *** "I know what you mean," Jaci said. "Shall