Skip to main content

Pandora's Children - Part 21

"The British people have funny words," Jaci muttered, tapping in the answer. "And FYI, I know exactly what to put in the warrant."

"Well haven't you been a busy little #bee, multitasking. What are you going to put in the warrant?"

"Credible threat of murder from a CI."

***

"Do you think it'll work?"

"Depends on the judge," Jaci said. "I think Judge #Silver is our best bet. He was helpful last time."

"When we get back, you write up the warrant and I'll brief the captain. You'll have to get him to approve it anyway."

"You think he will?"

***

We got back to the precinct as two uniforms tried to wrestle one large guy into a cell.

"Get off me. You're not putting me in the cell with that #queer."

I pushed him up against the cell and said, "Next time I hear that word out of your mouth, I'll shoot you."

"Bitch!"

***

"That's assaulting an officer," Jaci called out as the uniforms pushed him into the cell. "Come on, Annie, we have work to do."

"You go ahead, I'll catch up."

"Where are you going?"

I pointed toward the ladies room. "I have to make a quick #detour. I'll be right out."

***

Jaci went upstairs and I headed into the ladies room to do what I needed. I was washing my hands when I noticed something odd in the mirror. I pushed the door to the stall open and saw Stevie's #sapphire eyes staring back at me. I thought she was dead until she gasped.

***

"Somebody help me!" I yelled and cops came rushing in to help me move her to the floor. One called an ambulance while another startedto perform CPR.

I stood mutely as he worked but blinked back into focus when I saw the #dreamcatcher tattoo. She didn't have it before.

***

Jaci burst through the door and stopped. "I guess I'll have to draw up another warrant."

"Fuck the warrant, I'm ending this now," I said and walked toward the door.

Jaci blocked my way. "Annie, stop."

I pulled my gun out and pressed it to her chest.

"#Drop it, Annie!"

***

I looked around and saw the captain holding his gun on me. He looked at Stevie, then at me. "This is what I didn't want to happen."

"Let me go and I'll fix it. I'll use a #mandolin on her nipple if it'll get me a confession."

"You mean you're not just gonna shoot her?"

***

"Don't tempt me."

"Do it right. Get the warrant. Maybe she'll resist arrest or try to escape."

I smiled without mirth. "I will perform my duty with great #verve. I hope she gives me an excuse."

The captain looked at Jaci. "Why are you still here? Type up the warrant."

***

"Is Stevie OK?" Jaci asked when I joined her upstairs a few minutes later.

"She's alive. She didn't buy the #farm quite yet, but it's close. EMTs got her stabilized and she's going to the hospital. Captain's joining her there once he signs the warrant. Is it ready?"
 
***

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Atlas Missing - Part 12

Hannah chimed in. 'You need to reach #satori.' 'Isn't that like nirvana?' Jaci asked. 'Something like that,' Hannah replied. 'Are you ready to focus on the case again?' Jaci took a deep breath. 'I'm ready.' 'Good. Are we going through the timeline this morning?' *** 'We'll go through the reports for each victim, jotting down notes about times and places, then we'll go #back and write it all down on the big board. Hopefully by combining all the data we can get an idea of what happened when.' 'How long will that take?' Hannah asked. *** 'It depends entirely on how much is in the reports.  Based on what I saw yesterday, it could take us a couple of days to go through everything.' Hannah smiled. 'I'm not a delicate little #flower. I can handle it.' 'Good. This is just the start. It's going to get worse.' *** 'Hey, watch out for that #cat,' I yelled as the small black furb

Atlas Missing - Part 9

The #nudistertian day began with me moving everything I owned into storage except for what I needed for a cheap one-bedroom apartment, and now here I was just a few days later, pawing through the remains of someone else's life. I wondered if I would ever get mine back. *** 'Why is it always a post-#jentacular jogger that finds the bodies?' Jaci asked. 'Is no one else up that early?' 'Who else did you want to find them?' I countered. 'Dog-walkers? Little old ladies?' 'It's such a cliche.' 'There's a reason for that,' Hannah interjected. *** 'It's a cliche because it's true,' I told Jaci and held up an evidence bag. 'This is a hair sample, but it hasn't been tested. Why not?' 'They don't have the funding to test for DNA on cold cases,' Hannah said. 'According to the police report, the hair is #ulotrichous.' *** 'And?' 'All of their suspects had straight hair, not curly.

Atlas Missing - Part 2

I looked around the lake shore, admiring the #viridity of the trees and grass. Today was my last day of freedom, for tomorrow I would be Special Agent Annie Thibodeau, FBI. "I thought I'd find you here," a female voice said and I turned to see my friend, Jaci Garcia. *** "What are you doing here?" I asked. "Came to find my new partner," she answered. "I'm not a police officer any more." She grinned. "Neither am I, but I am looking forward to our next #escapade." "You're not? What are you doing now?" "Same thing you are," she replied. *** I blinked. "You joined the Bureau too?" She nodded. "Hard to say no when the assistant director asks you personally." "Same here," I said, glancing back at the boat half submerged with one #scull floating alongside. "Come on, let's go. The memories are getting to me." *** "I know what you mean," Jaci said. "Shall