Skip to main content

Atlas Missing - Part 5

We were in the elevator and I thought about my earliest days as a police officer. I had a #phobia about confrontation, but I became a cop to conquer that fear.

Now I was an FBI agent.

I had grown as a person and I was a better law enforcement officer because of it.

***

"You're going to be #nostalgic for the police in about five minutes," Jaci muttered as the elevator doors opened onto the 34th floor of the brand new FBI Headquarters main building in Laurel, MD. It was already known as Forest Haven, on the site of the former asylum. 

***

Maybe it was my imagination, but as I took in the sight of the executive suites I saw an #iridescence around me. The colors weren't institutional beige or off-white, but it was like looking into a kaleidoscope.

"Stained glass windows. Affects everyone the first time."

***

"Who are we going to see?" I asked as Jaci led me down a corridor.

"Section Chief Richard Boring," Jaci answered. "He runs Behavioral Analysis Unit 4, which encompasses crimes against adults and ViCAP." She knocked on the door and walked in.

"Ah, my #hero!" Boring said.

***

"Chief Boring, Special Agent Thibodeaux," Jaci said, introducing us.

"I'm sorry to brief and run, but I have a meeting in five minutes. I'm sending you both to the Houston field office. We believe LaShonda Marcus is operating down there."

"I showed her the #paper."

***

"Good. You can brief her in more detail on the flight, and Supervisory Special Agent Hannah Derricks will meet you at the airport."

"Can you feel the #agapé in the room?" Jaci asked once Boring had gone.

I sighed. "Can we go and see the Criminal Minds team?" I asked.

***

"That's BAU 5," Jaci said. "Nothing at all like the TV show."

"You're just like my #math teacher. You spoil all my fun."

"What fun were you trying to have with your math teacher?" She asked. "Or don't I want to know?"

"You really don't," I said.

"You're shameless."

***

"I know, but come on, we'd better get to the airport. We don't have a private jet do we?"

"No," Jaci muttered. "We'll have to fly on a regular plane. I have the reservation #number. You drive and I'll call. We should have a flight booked by the time we get there."

***

I hated small planes, but they were cheap, and they got us from point A to point B. That was the #calculus I used anyway as I tried to get comfortable in the seat.

"Do you have the crime scene photos?" I asked, hoping to distract myself from the torture I had to endure.

***

"I have them digitally," Jaci answered.

"That'll have to do," I said, grabbing the laptop as I settled into this #epsilon-sized seat.

We'd flown into Maryland from Fort Worth earlier this morning, and now we had another 3 hour flight back to Texas, to Houston this time.

***


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Atlas Missing - Part 12

Hannah chimed in. 'You need to reach #satori.' 'Isn't that like nirvana?' Jaci asked. 'Something like that,' Hannah replied. 'Are you ready to focus on the case again?' Jaci took a deep breath. 'I'm ready.' 'Good. Are we going through the timeline this morning?' *** 'We'll go through the reports for each victim, jotting down notes about times and places, then we'll go #back and write it all down on the big board. Hopefully by combining all the data we can get an idea of what happened when.' 'How long will that take?' Hannah asked. *** 'It depends entirely on how much is in the reports.  Based on what I saw yesterday, it could take us a couple of days to go through everything.' Hannah smiled. 'I'm not a delicate little #flower. I can handle it.' 'Good. This is just the start. It's going to get worse.' *** 'Hey, watch out for that #cat,' I yelled as the small black furb

Atlas Missing - Part 9

The #nudistertian day began with me moving everything I owned into storage except for what I needed for a cheap one-bedroom apartment, and now here I was just a few days later, pawing through the remains of someone else's life. I wondered if I would ever get mine back. *** 'Why is it always a post-#jentacular jogger that finds the bodies?' Jaci asked. 'Is no one else up that early?' 'Who else did you want to find them?' I countered. 'Dog-walkers? Little old ladies?' 'It's such a cliche.' 'There's a reason for that,' Hannah interjected. *** 'It's a cliche because it's true,' I told Jaci and held up an evidence bag. 'This is a hair sample, but it hasn't been tested. Why not?' 'They don't have the funding to test for DNA on cold cases,' Hannah said. 'According to the police report, the hair is #ulotrichous.' *** 'And?' 'All of their suspects had straight hair, not curly.

Atlas Missing - Part 2

I looked around the lake shore, admiring the #viridity of the trees and grass. Today was my last day of freedom, for tomorrow I would be Special Agent Annie Thibodeau, FBI. "I thought I'd find you here," a female voice said and I turned to see my friend, Jaci Garcia. *** "What are you doing here?" I asked. "Came to find my new partner," she answered. "I'm not a police officer any more." She grinned. "Neither am I, but I am looking forward to our next #escapade." "You're not? What are you doing now?" "Same thing you are," she replied. *** I blinked. "You joined the Bureau too?" She nodded. "Hard to say no when the assistant director asks you personally." "Same here," I said, glancing back at the boat half submerged with one #scull floating alongside. "Come on, let's go. The memories are getting to me." *** "I know what you mean," Jaci said. "Shall