Skip to main content

Pandora's Children - Part 4

I headed for the judge's table at his favorite cafe but the Maitre d stopped me. I waited while he took a #slip of paper to the judge.

He came over. "This better be important, detective."

I handed him the warrant & a pen. He read it & signed it. "Go catch the bastard."

***

Now I had the signed warrant in hand, I headed for the club. We'd tried to bring Loom down several times but nothing ever stuck. This time it might.

If he had any #part in the murders of Tyrrell Marcus and Darius Jackson, we'd be able to nail him for sure this time.

***

As I neared the club I saw black smoke rising into the sky and sped up. The lieutenant waved me down half a block away and I knew it was a bad #omen.

"What happened?"

"It seems we stumbled into the latest battle between The Hemphill Crew and the Camp Bowie Destroyers."

***

"This wasn't arson," the fire chief said when he came out to us a long time later.

"What happened?" The lieutenant asked. "The club looks like a total loss."

"They were cooking #crystal meth in a back room. They blew themselves up."

"How many dead?"

"At least ten."

***

"The ME is on her way," the fire chief said.

"This is going to be a jurisdictional nightmare," the lieutenant muttered.

"Not really," a woman said. "Special Agent #Rice, DEA. We've been investigating The Hemphill Crew for months. I think this is related to your murder."

***

"How is an accidental club fire related to my two murders?" The lieutenant asked as it began to rain.

"Texas does have #fickle weather," Agent Rice muttered. "We believe Darius Jackson was part of The Hemphill Crew & was dealing drugs to people where the Ravens played."

***

Pieces of the puzzle clicked into place. I said, "He stole money from them, got caught, and then stole from Tyrrell Marcus to replace it."

"That got him killed," Agent Rice agreed. "Why was Marcus killed though?"

"I have an informant who might know. We call him #Guru."

***

"Hey, that's my phone," The Guru protested as I took it from him.

"Looks new. Didja steal it?"

"It's a new Google #Pixel 4. I had to buy a new one after you broke my old one."

"Ask him!" The lieutenant said.

"Do you know why Tyrrell Marcus was killed?"

"Possibly."

***

Guru was always evasive and never gave straight answers. Might have something to do with living in a bar and drinking different whiskeys. He was a connoisseur of the #amber liquid but his ears were always open and he was always hearing things that he wasn't supposed to.

***

The lieutenant called the police since the bar was now a crime scene and asked questions while I did my best to secure the area. I looked everywhere for the bartender who gave Guru the drink but she had vanished into thin air like a #mirage evaporating in the desert heat.

***

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Atlas Missing - Part 12

Hannah chimed in. 'You need to reach #satori.' 'Isn't that like nirvana?' Jaci asked. 'Something like that,' Hannah replied. 'Are you ready to focus on the case again?' Jaci took a deep breath. 'I'm ready.' 'Good. Are we going through the timeline this morning?' *** 'We'll go through the reports for each victim, jotting down notes about times and places, then we'll go #back and write it all down on the big board. Hopefully by combining all the data we can get an idea of what happened when.' 'How long will that take?' Hannah asked. *** 'It depends entirely on how much is in the reports.  Based on what I saw yesterday, it could take us a couple of days to go through everything.' Hannah smiled. 'I'm not a delicate little #flower. I can handle it.' 'Good. This is just the start. It's going to get worse.' *** 'Hey, watch out for that #cat,' I yelled as the small black furb

Atlas Missing - Part 9

The #nudistertian day began with me moving everything I owned into storage except for what I needed for a cheap one-bedroom apartment, and now here I was just a few days later, pawing through the remains of someone else's life. I wondered if I would ever get mine back. *** 'Why is it always a post-#jentacular jogger that finds the bodies?' Jaci asked. 'Is no one else up that early?' 'Who else did you want to find them?' I countered. 'Dog-walkers? Little old ladies?' 'It's such a cliche.' 'There's a reason for that,' Hannah interjected. *** 'It's a cliche because it's true,' I told Jaci and held up an evidence bag. 'This is a hair sample, but it hasn't been tested. Why not?' 'They don't have the funding to test for DNA on cold cases,' Hannah said. 'According to the police report, the hair is #ulotrichous.' *** 'And?' 'All of their suspects had straight hair, not curly.

Atlas Missing - Part 2

I looked around the lake shore, admiring the #viridity of the trees and grass. Today was my last day of freedom, for tomorrow I would be Special Agent Annie Thibodeau, FBI. "I thought I'd find you here," a female voice said and I turned to see my friend, Jaci Garcia. *** "What are you doing here?" I asked. "Came to find my new partner," she answered. "I'm not a police officer any more." She grinned. "Neither am I, but I am looking forward to our next #escapade." "You're not? What are you doing now?" "Same thing you are," she replied. *** I blinked. "You joined the Bureau too?" She nodded. "Hard to say no when the assistant director asks you personally." "Same here," I said, glancing back at the boat half submerged with one #scull floating alongside. "Come on, let's go. The memories are getting to me." *** "I know what you mean," Jaci said. "Shall