Skip to main content

Pandora's Children - Part 18

We walked to the back of the store where a woman stood at a till counting money. Every now and then she would moisten a finger with a #dab of water to help her flip through the bills.

"Can I help you?" She asked without looking up.

"I'd like to see Sarah Dean," I said.

***

"Sarah isn't here," she said.

"I know she is," I replied, handing her my card.

She recognized my name. "My apologies. I know you understand why we have to be cautious."

"I do," I muttered, ignoring Jaci's look of surprise.

"Let me get #Ruby. She'll take you through."

***

Ruby still had multicolored bruises on her face, partially hidden by her hair, and she led us through the door behind the till, round a corner, and through another door.

We could hear the #radio in the background, and then I saw Sarah.

She didn't look happy to see me.

***

"Why are you here?" Sarah asked.

"I need your help," I told her. "Your story is an #oddity. There are things that don't make sense. We never found the man you said attacked you. Do you know a woman named Grace?"

Sarah's expression told me everything I needed to know.

***

"I need you to tell me the truth. I have someone undercover."

Sarah nodded. "Almost everything I said was true. You saw what Grace did to me when I got the courage to leave. The physical #damage she inflicted on me has healed, but I'll never forget what she made me do."

***

"What did she make you do?" Jaci asked as two kids ran by her.

She reached out, grabbed them by the collars, and stopped them. "No running in here. There's not enough space."

"He took my #mittens," one child said.

"There's enough for both of you. Go get another pair."

***

The kids walked away and Sarah looked Jaci in the eyes. "She made me perform for her, and her friends, and she forced me to find women for her. I became her #heavyweight champion, doing better than anyone else in what she wanted. It was degrading and I had to get out."

***

I had to ask the question, knowing what Grace asked of her followers. "Did you kill anyone?"

Sarah shook her head. "#killing was one thing I told her I'd never do. That's why she made me do the other stuff."

"How did you get out of there?"

"She beat me really badly."

***

"She beat me badly enough that I had to go to the hospital," Sarah elaborated. "There was someone there from #Resurrection. The same people that run this shelter. They helped me disappear."

I nodded. "Now you need to help us."

Sarah sighed. "What do you need me to do?"

***

"I need to know everything you can tell me about Grace. We need a weakness to exploit, and quickly."

Sarah stood there for several minutes before an idea came to her.

"One of the women is in a band, plays the #guitar. Grace lets her play once a week at a local club."

***


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Atlas Missing - Part 12

Hannah chimed in. 'You need to reach #satori.' 'Isn't that like nirvana?' Jaci asked. 'Something like that,' Hannah replied. 'Are you ready to focus on the case again?' Jaci took a deep breath. 'I'm ready.' 'Good. Are we going through the timeline this morning?' *** 'We'll go through the reports for each victim, jotting down notes about times and places, then we'll go #back and write it all down on the big board. Hopefully by combining all the data we can get an idea of what happened when.' 'How long will that take?' Hannah asked. *** 'It depends entirely on how much is in the reports.  Based on what I saw yesterday, it could take us a couple of days to go through everything.' Hannah smiled. 'I'm not a delicate little #flower. I can handle it.' 'Good. This is just the start. It's going to get worse.' *** 'Hey, watch out for that #cat,' I yelled as the small black furb

Atlas Missing - Part 9

The #nudistertian day began with me moving everything I owned into storage except for what I needed for a cheap one-bedroom apartment, and now here I was just a few days later, pawing through the remains of someone else's life. I wondered if I would ever get mine back. *** 'Why is it always a post-#jentacular jogger that finds the bodies?' Jaci asked. 'Is no one else up that early?' 'Who else did you want to find them?' I countered. 'Dog-walkers? Little old ladies?' 'It's such a cliche.' 'There's a reason for that,' Hannah interjected. *** 'It's a cliche because it's true,' I told Jaci and held up an evidence bag. 'This is a hair sample, but it hasn't been tested. Why not?' 'They don't have the funding to test for DNA on cold cases,' Hannah said. 'According to the police report, the hair is #ulotrichous.' *** 'And?' 'All of their suspects had straight hair, not curly.

Atlas Missing - Part 2

I looked around the lake shore, admiring the #viridity of the trees and grass. Today was my last day of freedom, for tomorrow I would be Special Agent Annie Thibodeau, FBI. "I thought I'd find you here," a female voice said and I turned to see my friend, Jaci Garcia. *** "What are you doing here?" I asked. "Came to find my new partner," she answered. "I'm not a police officer any more." She grinned. "Neither am I, but I am looking forward to our next #escapade." "You're not? What are you doing now?" "Same thing you are," she replied. *** I blinked. "You joined the Bureau too?" She nodded. "Hard to say no when the assistant director asks you personally." "Same here," I said, glancing back at the boat half submerged with one #scull floating alongside. "Come on, let's go. The memories are getting to me." *** "I know what you mean," Jaci said. "Shall